Thursday, February 26, 2015

Mabuhay ang Los Chabacanos





By Francine Maigue
     Growing up, I would regularly accompany my parents to Point Point Joint for different community meetings on the weekends. Each visit was like a family reunion. Titas, Titos, and warm hugs galore. This extended family included Los Chabacanos of Cavite City, Inc.My dad, Butch, served as Treasurer, then as Vice President. My mother, Oly, always worked hard to assist with the coordination of big events and performances. My sister, Theresa, was even crowned Miss Los Chabacanos. Theresa and I knew that, if there was a fi esta, foundation ball, or party…we needed to be ready to perform. We offered up our talents to our community and, of course, to the Lord and Nuestra Senora de la Soledad de Porta Vaga.
     Inspired by my parents’ and my sister’s leadership, I, too, wanted to contribute more to this very special organization, one that represented our faith, heritage, family, and hometown community in the Philippines.
     I remember being about 10 years old and sharing my desire to help LCCCI with its then President, the hardworking Gene Macapagal. I was invited to join the offi cers and board of directors on stage as they conducted a very important members’ meeting and was asked to take a seat just like them to take important notes. Though the organization obviously had a proper Secretary taking offi cial notes, I accepted my responsibility and approached it with great seriousness. I understood that these mentors were making a difference in our community—preserving and sharing an important piece of who we are and uniting and inspiring our people. I wanted to help just like them.
     When the meeting was over, I proudly presented my extensive notes to the offi cers, who graciously looked at my work and thanked me for helping and caring so much about our community. I hopped of the stage in delight when my friends, also children of the offi cers and board members ran up to me and said, “We saw you up there! It looked very important. We want to start a Los Chabacanos Kids Club. We already talked about it, and you’re going to be our President.”
      I remember feeling so honored by their faith in me, so humbled by the responsibility, and so excited that I had inspired my peers to join in and help make a difference. It was our fi rst taste of grassroots organizing. We conducted meetings, performed at events, represented our community in parades, and built great friendships… “Just like our parents,” we proudly thought.
     Fast forward to over 20 years later when I was asked by LCCCI’s current President, Julia “Jhigs” Legaspi, to serve on the organization’s Board of Directors and as its Master of Ceremonies for its upcoming gala. The rush of emotions had me feeling just like I was 10 years old again— so honored, humbled, and excited to serve our community. I thanked God and Nuestra Senora de la Soledad de Porta Vaga for the incredible blessing and opportunity.
     On Valentine’s Day, led by our illustrious, dedicated President Jhigs, LCCCI hosted its Installation of Offi cers & Valentine’s Gala at the Handlery Hotel in Mission Valley. The special event only comes every two years, and this year’s was one for the memory books. Looking out from the podium at the warm, smiling faces of the very same Titas and Titos, who watched me grow up, the Reynosos, Bartolomes, Joses, Alcantaras, Villareals, Maulas, and more…I felt like I was home with my dear family… and I was.
     The beautiful, sold-out celebration was both fun and poignant, complete with a delicious dinner, special performances, installation and award ceremony, coronation of Miss Los Chabacanos, exciting raffl e, and, of course, DANCING. The full house was especially moved by President Jhigs’s beautifully written speech, which moved attendees to both hearty laughs and tears of inspiration.
     Thank you, Los Chabacanos of Cavite City for 43 years of outstanding leadership. You continue to bless our community with events that preserve important tenets of our culture and unite & inspire our people. Mabuhay!
     SPECIAL EVENT The Filipino American Chamber of Commerce is hosting its first big event of 2015. Back by popular demand is FACC’s Monthly Mixer program. This event, which welcomes ALL members of our community is part networking night, part inspirational TEDx Talk. It is an opportunity to mix and mingle with community leaders, learn of new resources to grow your business or organization, and hear tips from a featured speaker. This month’s speaker happens to be (drumroll, please) yours truly.
     Join us this Tuesday, February 24th, 6pm, at the beautiful Barnhart Cancer Center at Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center located at 769 Medical Center Drive. CRAFT Pizza, San Diego’s hottest new artisan pizzeria, will open the event with a delicious reception during which we encourage hearty eating and hearty networking. My presentation will focus on, “Our NET Worth: The importance of Networking across sectors, Engaging under & mis-represented communities, and Teaching & empowering our young people.” Following the presentation, attendees are welcome to take a special guided tour of the awe-inspiring Barnhart Cancer Center.
     I hope to see you all there, my friends! Your support means everything to me…such a blessing. Maraming, maraming salamat po. Space is limited, RSVP today! To RSVP, contact Alicia DeLeon Torres: adeleontorres@gmail.com or 619.985.5904. Originally from Cavite City, Philippines and raised in Chula Vista, Francine Maigue received her master’s degree from Harvard University and bachelor’s degree from UCLA. Francine is the District Director for Assemblywoman Lorena Gonzalez, serves as Secretary of the Filipino-American Chamber of Commerce of San Diego County, is a Board Member of the Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center Foundation and Los Chabacanos of Cavite City, is a member of the San Diego United Lions Club and Silayan Filipina, and is a former Miss Philippines of San Diego. A trusted voice in the community, Francine serves as a Special Advisor to Philippine Honorary Consul General of San Diego, Audie de Castro.
     Exclusively here in The Filipino Press--Follow Francine Maigue’s adventures as she represents our region with grace and honor as the FilipinoAmerican History Achievement Award Winner in Humanitarianism, Arts, and Community Service and as an Outstanding Filipino American Young Leaders Awardee as selected by His Excellency Ambassador Cuisia and the Philippine Consuls.
     Want to view more event photos and join fun chats with other Francine fans? Visit francineandfriends.com or search “Francine Maigue” on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Your comments could be featured here! See you online! Got an organization, business, or event Francine should know about? Wish to agree or “agree to disagree” with her? Want to send her a love note? (She loves those.) Email Francine at thepamperedpinay@yahoo.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment